WHO WE ARE
As Republicans, we believe that all functions of government should be assigned to the smallest and most local level that can accomplish these functions. For this reason, we regard the efficient and effective governance of the City of New Haven to be our highest political priority. As New Haven Republicans, we are committed to enhancing the quality of life in our city by proposing a pro-growth economic agenda, advocating for good governance, pushing for excellence in education, streamlining the city’s budget, and promoting public safety.
With your help we can:
- Provide support and opportunities for both workers and entrepreneurs
- Advocate for transparency, accountability and ethical leadership in city hall
- Make parental involvement the key component in education
- Prevent waste, fraud and abuse in our city's budget
- Tackle crime at the source and empower law enforcement to keep the peace
- Protect religious freedom and ensure that free expression is not stifled
Restore Economic Prosperity
A strong and vibrant economy is essential to the quality of life for all people. Government should be committed to providing a fair environment for business to flourish. Therefore:
- New Haven should work with the State of Connecticut to ease the tax and regulatory burden on individuals, small businesses, and corporations.
- New Haven should improve relations with local developers and investors to revitalize our neighborhoods.
- New Haven should develop an efficient public transportation system to connect our commercial & transit hubs.
- New Haven should provide adequate parking at a fair price for large buildings to protect street parking for existing homes and businesses.
Establish Good Governance
We believe government is accountable to the people, not to a party, union, or elected official. Transparency, accountability, and ethical leadership are essential to this end. Therefore:
- The Board of Alders should allow a public comment period prior to every general meeting.
- The Board of Alders should vote by roll call and each Alder's voting record should be public.
- The City Hall Commissions should maintain accurate records of their membership, attendance, agenda & meeting reports.
Reform Our Schools
We believe a quality education is vital to every child’s success. Parents should be closely involved in their child’s education, and should have the right to choose which school their child attends. Therefore:
- All seats on the New Haven Board of Education should be elected positions and the Mayor should not be an ex-officio member.
- The Board of Education should allow for vouchers and school choice for all families.
- Schools should promote direct parental involvement with their child’s schooling.
- The Board must prioritize the hiring of the highest quality educators and administrators. We also believe the Board should reward successful educators with competitive salaries, as well as reduce administrative costs and personnel.
- The Board should adhere to the city’s charter on all Board of Education membership issues.
Ensure Fiscal Responsibility
Fiscal discipline is synonymous with good governance. This means keeping city expenditures in check, preventing overtime abuse, and maintaining a rainy day fund for future generations. Therefore:
- City Hall Commissions should publish a comprehensive study on government contracts and long-term expenditures.
- New Haven should institute a hiring freeze for all non-police, fire, and education employees, specifically in City Hall.
- New Haven should only renew the grants of non-profit organizations that produce measurable results for the city.
Enforce Law and Order
Law enforcement is one of the foundations of civil society. We believe the New Haven Police Department should continue to improve its relationship with our neighborhoods. Therefore:
- New Haven should mandate that all police officers wear body cameras.
- New Haven should recruit law enforcement officers from within the city.
- The Police Department should enforce civility ordinances including noise violations and ATV usage.